The Global Innovation Index Report 2021October 2021
Posted at 12:36h
The Global Innovation Index 2021 captures the innovation ecosystem performance of 132 economies and tracks the most recent global innovation trends.
What is the global state of innovation? Has the pandemic slowed or accelerated investments in innovation? How fast is the rate of technological progress? How do new technologies change the world? This new segment of the GII provides a perspective on global innovation performance, drawing on a select set of indicators.
The state of innovation throughout the COVID-19 crisis:
- 1. The GII 2021 finds that investment in innovation has shown great resilience during the COVID-19 pandemic, often reaching new peaks, but that it varies across sectors and regions
- Technological progress at the frontier holds substantial promise
- Only a few economies have consistently delivered peak innovation performance
- Selected middle-income economies are changing the innovation landscape, starting with China, Turkey, Viet Nam, India and the Philippines are now pulling their weight
- Several developing economies are performing above expectation on innovation relative to their level of economic development
- The geography of global innovation is changing unevenly